Global Market Data
Global News Journal
Pakistan: Now or Never?
Front Row Washington
The Great Debate
Personal Finance Video
Life & Culture
A selection of our best photos from the past 24 hours. Warning: Graphic content Full Article
Amazon unveils Kindle Fire tablet, priced at $199
Apple expected to unveil new iPhone next week
Obama's healthcare law appealed to Supreme Court
Twelve-year-old two-faced cat is world's oldest
Wall Street drops, led by commodities on economic fear
Particles recorded moving faster than light: CERN
House unexpectedly defeats spending bill
UPDATE 1-Particles found to break speed of light
Rihanna's "inappropriate" outfit halts music video
Tue, Sep 27 2011
Southern lights provide heavenly view from space
Tue, Sep 27 2011
Is technology killing jobs?
Mon, Sep 26 2011
Libya ready to probe possible other Lockerbie suspects
Libya's NTC says Lockerbie case closed
Mon, Sep 26 2011
Special Report: How to win business in Libya
Fri, Sep 23 2011
Libyan forces say they captured part of Sabha
Mon, Sep 19 2011
WRAPUP 7-Gaddafi loyalists put Libyan forces to flight
Fri, Sep 16 2011
Sarkozy, Cameron hailed in Libya as forces enter Sirte
Thu, Sep 15 2011
Analysis & Opinion
What’s behind Libya’s fast march to democracy?
The future of journalism in the UK
A man's shadow is seen on the memorial to those killed in the 1988 Lockerbie bombing in Lockerbie, Scotland, August 20, 2009.
Credit: Reuters/Nigel Roddis
By William Maclean
Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:32pm EDT
TRIPOLI (Reuters) - Libya's interim justice minister Mohammed al-Alagi said on Wednesday he was ready to work with Scottish authorities to probe the possible involvement of others in the Lockerbie bombing apart from the sole Libyan convicted for the attack.
His remark at news conference reversed a position he took only on Monday, when he said that as far as Libya was concerned the case of the bombing of the U.S.-bound airliner over the Scottish village of Lockerbie with the loss of 270 lives was closed.
Scottish prosecutors had asked Libya's National Transitional Council (NTC) to give them access to papers or witnesses that could implicate more suspects in the attack, possibly including deposed leader Muammar Gaddafi.
Asked on Wednesday about his response to this request, he said through an interpreter: "I'd like to confirm that we are accepting any facts that might arise in this regard, if there is any suspicion about any other person."
He added: "We will cooperate in this regard with whoever has any other facts, according to international treaties."
Former Libyan agent Abdel Basset al-Megrahi was convicted of the bombing in 2001 and sent to a Scottish prison to serve a life sentence. The Scottish government released him and sent him back to Libya on compassionate grounds in 2009 because he had cancer and was thought to have only months to live.
Another Libyan was acquitted of the case.
Megrahi's release and return to a hero's welcome in Libya angered many in Britain and the United States, home to most of the Lockerbie victims.
Alagi added on Wednesday that he welcomed the possibility of an investigation into the possibility of others' culpability because "this will lead to the acquittal of Abdel Basset al-Megrahi, who has been unjustly convicted in this case."
Scottish prosecutors noted that Megrahi's trial court had accepted he had not acted alone. Police at the time said they had submitted a list of eight other suspects whom they wanted to interview but that Gaddafi had refused to allow them to be questioned.
In March, Mustafa Abdel Jalil, Libya's former justice minister and now its interim leader, said he had evidence of Gaddafi's involvement in the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103.
Megrahi's co-accused at the specially convened Scottish court sitting in the Netherlands in 2000 was Al-Amin Khalifa Fhimah, who was cleared of mass murder.
He told Sweden's Expressen newspaper last month that Gaddafi should be tried in court over widespread suspicions he ordered the bombing.
"There is a court and he is the one to explain whether he is innocent or not," Fhimah said. "He has to."
(Reporting By William Maclean)
We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see http://blogs.reuters.com/fulldisclosure/2010/09/27/toward-a-more-thoughtful-conversation-on-stories/
This is no more than a propaganda story. There is no way Britain would ever re-open the Lockerbie case. Can of worms!
Sep 28, 2011 2:37pm EDT -- Report as abuse
See All Comments »
Add Your Comment
Social Stream (What's this?)
Back to top
New York Legal
Support & Contact
Advertise With Us
Connect with Reuters
Our Flagship financial information platform incorporating Reuters Insider
An ultra-low latency infrastructure for electronic trading and data distribution
A connected approach to governance, risk and compliance
Our next generation legal research platform
Our global tax workstation
About Thomson Reuters
Thomson Reuters is the world's largest international multimedia news agency, providing investing news, world news, business news, technology news, headline news, small business news, news alerts, personal finance, stock market, and mutual funds information available on Reuters.com, video, mobile, and interactive television platforms. Thomson Reuters journalists are subject to an Editorial Handbook which requires fair presentation and disclosure of relevant interests.
NYSE and AMEX quotes delayed by at least 20 minutes. Nasdaq delayed by at least 15 minutes. For a complete list of exchanges and delays, please click here.