Reuters top ten news stories delivered to your inbox each day.
You are here:
Business & Finance
The Great Debate
Do More With Reuters
Make Reuters My Homepage
Support (Customer Zone)
About Thomson Reuters
Punishment for Afghan raid unlikely: U.S. military head
Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:29pm EDT
Email | Print |
| Reprints | Single Page
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. military is unlikely to discipline troops involved in a deadly air strike in Afghanistan that heightened tensions between Washington and Kabul, the top U.S. military official said on Thursday.
Admiral Mike Mullen, chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, said U.S. troops handled themselves well during the battle last month against Taliban fighters in Afghanistan's western Farah province.
A large number of civilians were killed after U.S. forces called in air strikes.
"At least in my review, I found nothing that would lead to any specific action along the lines of what you're asking," Mullen said at a Pentagon briefing when asked it disciplinary action might be considered.
The U.S. and Afghan governments have clashed for weeks over the civilian death toll from the battle.
Afghan officials maintain that the action killed 140 civilians, making it the most deadly military operation for noncombatants in the country since the 2001 U.S.-led invasion.
Preliminary U.S. estimates had put the civilian death toll at between 20 and 35 and the number of Taliban fighters killed at 80 to 95. An Afghan watchdog agency has said that 97 civilians died, with no more than two Taliban members killed.
"There are some estimated but ... I don't think we ever will really know how many," Mullen told reporters.
One problem identified by Pentagon officials occurred when a B-1 bomber participating in the strike identified a targeted building and later returned to attack without double-checking to make sure Taliban fighters were still there.
"There were command and control challenges, chain of command challenges, some training issues, that we've got to address," Mullen told reporters.
U.S. commanders in Afghanistan have changed operational procedures to minimize civilian casualties, which U.S. officials fear could turn Afghan popular sentiment against Western troops if mishandled.
The Obama administration has embarked on a massive build-up of U.S. forces in Afghanistan in a bid to quell the growing Taliban insurgency. U.S. troop levels will more than double to 68,000 by the end of 2009.
Mullen and U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates said they hoped that training and the leadership of the new top commander in Afghanistan, General Stanley McChrystal, would help address the issue of civilian casualties in the country.
"There are additional changes we're clearly going to have to make," Mullen said without giving specific details.
The Pentagon has said it will issue an unclassified summary of the military's investigative report on the incident.
But the release has dragged for days, and some officials said there had been a danger it would be squelched as a result of a debate within the Obama administration over its contents. Continued...
View article on single page
U.N. says Colombian army killed innocent civilians
Iran's presidential election
Aftermath of Iran's election
Up-to-the-minute news, photos and video of the aftermath of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's disputed election in Iran. Full Coverage
More International News
Khamenei to address Iranians after election unrest
North, South Korea talk factory park; U.S. tracks ship
Iraq confident about security after U.S. troops leave towns
Thailand's Muslim south gripped by fear
U.S. drones kill 9 in Waziristan: Pakistan officials
More International News...
Featured Broker sponsored link
A selection of our best photos from the past 24 hours. Slideshow
Most Popular on Reuters
"Twilight" star Pattinson hit by taxi as flees fans
PETA miffed at President Obama's fly "execution" | Video
'Something different" happening with new flu - CDC
Woody Allen eyes Carla Bruni for film role
Obama facing some doubts among Americans
WRAPUP 2-Stanford in US court Friday in massive fraud case
Senate keeps car sales stimulus in war bill
North, South Korea talk factory park; U.S. tracks ship
First hard evidence found of a lake on Mars
WRAPUP 2-Stanford surrenders to FBI, in court Friday
Most Popular Articles RSS Feed
Salinger wins first court round
Tornado touches down in Nebraska
Internet video: Iranians mourn
Princes reporting for photo-op duty
Obama kills a pesky fly
The trouble with Tweeting about Iran
Iranians mourn with mass rally
Berlusconi in escort allegations
Somali PM fears 100s killed by bomb
Iranian bloggers upload clash video
Most Popular Videos RSS Feed
We want to hear from you
Join the Reuters Consumer Insight Panel and help us get to know you better
Please take a moment to complete our survey
Help and Contact Us |
Advertise With Us |
Site Index |
Thomson Reuters Corporate:
Professional Products |
Professional Products Support |
About Thomson Reuters |
Latin America |
United Kingdom |
Thomson Reuters is the world's largest international multimedia news agency, providing investing news, world news, business news, technology news, headline news, small business news, news alerts, personal finance, stock market, and mutual funds information available on Reuters.com, video, mobile, and interactive television platforms. Thomson Reuters journalists are subject to an Editorial Handbook which requires fair presentation and disclosure of relevant interests.
NYSE and AMEX quotes delayed by at least 20 minutes. Nasdaq delayed by at least 15 minutes. For a complete list of exchanges and delays, please click here.