The Freeland File
Global Market Data
Tales from the Trail
Lucy P. Marcus
David Cay Johnston
The Great Debate
Jack & Suzy Welch
Macro & Markets
Lipper Awards 2012
Personal Finance Video
Our best photos from the last 24 hours. See more
Images of April
Powerful "Flame" cyber weapon found in Iran
Miami witness describes horror of cannibalistic attack
Doctors disagree on when to stop PSA screening
European shares knocked by Spain bank worries
Spanish debt costs spiral as crisis deepens
Iran has enough uranium for five bombs: expert
Protests planned after minister calls for gays to be fenced in
Biden tells West Point cadets: prepare for new threats
A look at the UK’s most beautiful face
Thu, May 10 2012
Violence erupts as Nepal fails to pass new constitution
Sun, May 27 2012
Tony Blair on Rupert Murdoch, spin and politics
Turkey approves indictment of Israeli commanders: report
Israel offered $6 million to Turk raid victims: lawyer
Thu, May 24 2012
Gaza fleet leashed by Israel, starved for fuel
Wed, May 23 2012
Spat with Iraq bares Turk plunge into regional power game
Fri, May 18 2012
Iran attack decision nears, Israeli elite locks down
Thu, May 17 2012
Turkey says Israeli plane violates N.Cyprus airspace
Thu, May 17 2012
Analysis & Opinion
Netanyahu says ceding control of Jerusalem’s sacred sites would be fatal mistake
Ending NATO’s double standard
By Jonathon Burch
Mon May 28, 2012 3:44pm EDT
ANKARA (Reuters) - A Turkish court has approved an indictment seeking multiple life sentences for four former Israeli military commanders over their alleged involvement in the 2010 killing of nine Turks on a Gaza-bound aid ship, state media reported on Monday.
The indictment, prepared by Istanbul state prosecutor Mehmet Akif Ekinci, was submitted to the court last week and its approval effectively marks the start of a trial in absentia against the four men.
Relations between Turkey and Israel deteriorated sharply after Israeli commandos raided the Mavi Marmara aid vessel in May 2010 to enforce a naval blockade of the Gaza Strip and killed nine Turks in clashes with activists on board the ship.
Turkey expelled Israel's ambassador and froze all military cooperation after a U.N. report into the incident released last September largely exonerated the Jewish state.
The indictment accuses Israel's former Chief of General Staff Gabi Ashkenazi and three other retired senior military commanders of involvement in the raid and calls for between 8,000 and 18,000 life sentences for each of the men, state news agency Anatolian said on its website.
Official Israeli sources have not commented on the indictment but media quoted Ashkenazi as saying he was certain "common sense would prevail in the end".
The reports said Ashkenazi added: "(Turkey) is an important country which together with Israel has a joint interest in maintaining stability in the Middle East ... From the first moment, I chose to stand up in every forum to defend the soldiers of the Israel Defence Forces ... if the price for this is that I won't be able to visit Turkey, I will pay the price."
Turkey had previously said it would try to prosecute all Israelis responsible for crimes committed during the raid and the prosecutor had written to Israel seeking the names of those involved but had received no answer.
Last week a Turkish lawyer representing victims of the raid said Israel had offered to pay $6 million in compensation in turn for lawsuits to be dropped.
However, a senior Israeli official who declined to be named said Israel, having indicated last year that it was prepared to indemnify victims without accepting blame, had not renewed its offer.
The U.N. report into the raid last September was meant to encourage a rapprochement between the two countries but ultimately deepened the rift when it concluded Israel had used unreasonable force but that the blockade on Gaza was legal.
Turkey was stung by Israel's refusal to make a formal apology and pay compensation to families of the dead.
On several occasions in recent years, serving and former Israeli commanders and other senior officials either refrained from visiting Britain to avoid arrest after pro-Palestinian activists initiated criminal proceedings against them.
Those fears of arrest were lifted after Britain changed a law last year which made it much more difficult for individuals to start legal proceedings against individuals they alleged had committed war crimes.
(Additional reporting by Ori Lewis in Jerusalem; Editing by Jon Hemming)
We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see http://blogs.reuters.com/fulldisclosure/2010/09/27/toward-a-more-thoughtful-conversation-on-stories/
Be the first to comment on reuters.com.
Add yours using the box above.
Back to top
New York Legal
Support & Contact
Connect with Reuters
Our Flagship financial information platform incorporating Reuters Insider
An ultra-low latency infrastructure for electronic trading and data distribution
A connected approach to governance, risk and compliance
Our next generation legal research platform
Our global tax workstation
About Thomson Reuters
Thomson Reuters is the world's largest international multimedia news agency, providing investing news, world news, business news, technology news, headline news, small business news, news alerts, personal finance, stock market, and mutual funds information available on Reuters.com, video, mobile, and interactive television platforms. Thomson Reuters journalists are subject to an Editorial Handbook which requires fair presentation and disclosure of relevant interests.
NYSE and AMEX quotes delayed by at least 20 minutes. Nasdaq delayed by at least 15 minutes. For a complete list of exchanges and delays, please click here.