The Freeland File
Aerospace & Defense
Global Market Data
Lucy P. Marcus
The Great Debate
Macro & Markets
Lipper Awards 2012
Personal Finance Video
Our best photos from the last 24 hours. Slideshow
Best photos of the year 2012
Download our Wider Image iPad app
Russia sends warships to Syria for possible evacuation
TAKE-A-LOOK-Connecticut school shooting rampage
"Fiscal cliff" deal closer, but gaps remain
Newtown students return to class after school massacre
Even without Congress, Obama could act to restrict guns
17 Dec 2012
Connecticut gun rampage: 28 dead, including 20 schoolchildren
Democrats vow push for gun control measures in Congress
Connecticut town’s schools locked down following shooting report
Our day's top images, in-depth photo essays and offbeat slices of life. See the best of Reuters photography. See more | Photo caption
Tragedy in Newtown
Mourning the victims of the Sandy Hook school shooting. Slideshow
Roofless in Brazil
Thousands have joined a growing Roofless Movement who find shelter in abandoned or vacant buildings in Sao Paulo. Slideshow
War crimes court acquits Congolese warlord
Insight: Congo army debacle at Goma raises specter of betrayal
Mon, Dec 10 2012
Congo rebels quit Goma, saying it's "for peace"
Sat, Dec 1 2012
Congo rebel pullout from Goma runs into hitches
Fri, Nov 30 2012
Palestinians win de facto U.N. recognition of sovereign state
Fri, Nov 30 2012
Analysis: The next stop for Palestinians could be global courts
Thu, Nov 29 2012
Analysis & Opinion
The Supreme Court’s burgeoning business agenda
Accusations of confidential witness chicanery backfire on defense lawyer
1 of 5. Congolese warlord Ngudjolo Chui (L) sits in the courtroom during his trial at the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague December 18, 2012.
Credit: Reuters/Robin van Lonkhuijsen/Pool
By Thomas Escritt
THE HAGUE |
Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:10am EST
THE HAGUE (Reuters) - Congolese warlord Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui was acquitted of all charges of war crimes and crimes against humanity by the International Criminal Court (ICC) on Tuesday, a blow for victims of Congo wars a decade ago.
The verdict - only the second in the war crimes court's 10-year history, and its first acquittal - is a setback for the ICC's prosecutors who judges said had failed to link Ngudjolo to atrocities in northeastern Congo in 2003.
The acquittal also raises doubts about the case against Ngudjolo's better-known co-accused, warlord Germain Katanga who is charged with similar crimes. Judges prolonged Katanga's trial last month, a move that some academics say could make it easier to get a conviction.
The violence in northeastern Ituri district was a localized ethnic clash over land and resources, one of the myriad of conflicts which spun out of Congo's wider 1998-2003 war that sucked in multiple neighboring states.
The conflict was not directly related to the current insurgency by M23 rebels in neighboring North Kivu province, but some of the fighters involved in this latest east Congo rebellion, notably M23 leader Bosco Ntaganda, were directly involved in the Ituri fighting.
Ntaganda is also wanted by the ICC for war crimes relating to the 2003 Ituri events.
Prosecutors said Ngudjolo directed fighters to block roads to and from the village of Bogoro in February 2003 in order to kill civilians attempting to flee and that civilians, including women and small children were burned alive inside their homes.
Two hundred people were killed during and after the attack on the village when ethnic Lendu and Ngiti fighters allegedly destroyed the homes of the village's mainly Hema inhabitants.
"It was a very concise incident," Nick Kaufmann, an international criminal lawyer, said.
"The prosecution failed to investigate the chain of command adequately as far as the attack in Bogoro is concerned."
The ICC judges stressed that atrocities had been committed during the conflict, but said the witnesses prosecutors had chosen to testify to Ngudjolo's involvement were not credible.
"This does not in any way throw into question what befell the people of that area on that day," presiding judge Bruno Cotte said.
Fatou Bensouda, who took over as the ICC's chief prosecutor this year, asked that judges keep Ngudjolo in detention pending an appeal.
UNLIKELY TO BE OVERTURNED
But legal experts said it was unlikely the acquittal would be overturned because new evidence cannot be introduced at appeal, and appeals courts rarely reassess the credibility of witnesses.
"The acquittal of Ngudjolo leaves the victims of Bogoro and other massacres by his forces without justice for their suffering," said Géraldine Mattioli-Zeltner, international justice advocacy director at Human Rights Watch.
"The ICC prosecutor needs to strengthen its investigations of those responsible for grave crimes in Ituri, including high-ranking officials in Congo, Rwanda, and Uganda who supported the armed groups fighting there."
Judges last month split the cases against Katanga and Ndgujolo, postponing the verdict in the case against the better-known warlord until next year and giving prosecutors time to build a case centered around the claim that Katanga was part of a criminal plan to commit war crimes.
That decision, which would allow Katanga to be convicted even if he had not committed or ordered war crimes, has been appealed by the defense and criticized by scholars and by dissenting judge Christine van den Wyngaert, who said the decision would cause Katanga "irreparable prejudice".
Thomas Lubanga, the court's first convict, was sentenced to 14 years earlier this year for his role on another side that participated in the same conflict.
"Lubanga was a Hema leader, and the acquittal of a Ngudjolo, a Lendu, just after the conviction of a Hema could exacerbate tension between the two ethnicities in Ituri," Jennifer Easterday of the Open Society Justice Initiative said.
Judges will later today decide if Ngudjolo must be held in detention pending his appeal.
(This story has been corrected to add Ngudjolo's first name in paragraph one)
(Reporting By Thomas Escritt; Editing by Michael Roddy)
We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see http://blogs.reuters.com/fulldisclosure/2010/09/27/toward-a-more-thoughtful-conversation-on-stories/
Back to top
New York Legal
Support & Contact
Connect with Reuters
Our Flagship financial information platform incorporating Reuters Insider
An ultra-low latency infrastructure for electronic trading and data distribution
A connected approach to governance, risk and compliance
Our next generation legal research platform
Our global tax workstation
About Thomson Reuters
Thomson Reuters is the world's largest international multimedia news agency, providing investing news, world news, business news, technology news, headline news, small business news, news alerts, personal finance, stock market, and mutual funds information available on Reuters.com, video, mobile, and interactive television platforms. Thomson Reuters journalists are subject to an Editorial Handbook which requires fair presentation and disclosure of relevant interests.
NYSE and AMEX quotes delayed by at least 20 minutes. Nasdaq delayed by at least 15 minutes. For a complete list of exchanges and delays, please click here.