Lockerbie families begin getting funds
By MATTHEW LEE,Associated Press Writer AP - Monday, November 10
SHANNON, Ireland - The Bush administration has begun transferring more than $500 billion in Libyan compensation money to the families of American victims of the 1988 Pan Am 103 bombing over Lockerbie, Scotland.
A U.S. official says $504 million of $536 million to be distributed to the families was moved from the Treasury to a private account administered by their lawyers on Friday. The money comes from a $1.5 billion fund for U.S. victims of Libyan-linked terrorism that Libya finished paying into last month.
The official says the remaining Lockerbie cash will be transferred in the coming days, along with $283 million for the U.S. victims of a 1986 attack on a Berlin disco. The remainder of the settlement money will go to settle claims for other deaths, injuries and damage caused by Libyan agents in the 1980s.
Recommend this article
Average (0 votes)
Sign in to recommend this article »
Most Recommended Stories »
Related Articles: World
Protests sweep across Calif. on post-Prop 8 SundayAP - 1 hour 6 minutes ago
In Obama's victory, Americans see legacy of LincolnAFP - 1 hour 37 minutes ago
Churches across America reflect on Obama electionAP - 1 hour 39 minutes ago
Paloma weakens to tropical depression as it passes over CubaAFP - 1 hour 44 minutes ago
Haiti school disaster sparks anger, wider concernsAP - 1 hour 45 minutes ago
Most Popular – World
Obama: First pooch may be mutt 'like me'
Documents expose Prince William RAF training row: report
Porsche hits record results on the back of VW shares
Obama rules out new cabinet picks as jobless rate jumps
US doctors tell Liu Xiang he needs surgery
View Complete List »